How exciting! Did you hear that Brayton Bed and Breakfast was nominated for Best Wisconsin B&B’s for Ice Fishing?
We are so honored! I mean we know we live in this great city where we are surrounded by beautiful lakes and architecture, but to be nominated! What an privilege! Check out some of the other B&B’s in Wisconsin that were nominated along with us but also for skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling.
AND THE NOMINEES FOR THE BEST WISCONSIN B&Bs FOR ICE FISHING, SKIING, SNOWSHOEING AND SNOWMOBILING ARE…
MERRILL, Wis. (February 7, 2013) – For those of hardy stock – and really, who doesn’t that describe in the Midwest – the idea of cross-country skiing, snowshoeing or snowmobiling out the front door is the ideal. Now take that notion and apply it to a winter getaway. While the front door for most hotels and resorts leads to the parking lot, at many Wisconsin B&Bs the front door leads you to the great outdoors. A quick survey of Wisconsin inns produced a slew of ideas for travelers who like to take in the fresh winter air. So, in the spirit of the film and music awards season, we bring you nominees for “best of” in the following categories:
Best Wisconsin B&Bs for Cross Country Skiing
- The Justin Trails B&B in Sparta deserves the lifetime achievement award for winter sports of all sorts, but especially for cross country skiing. They have a 10K trail on their property groomed for both striding and skating styles of skiing, and you can literally ski out the back door of the inn.
- At Apple Tree Lane B&B in Waupaca, enjoy a hearty breakfast, then go for a brisk ski on the property, in that order so advises the owner. Warm up at the outdoor fire pit with hot chocolate after.
- Another strong nominee is Eagle Centre House in Eagle, given their proximity to Lapham Peak park in the Kettle Moraine State Forest with nearly 20 miles of trails of which 2.5 miles are lighted for night skiing.
- Other inns with cross country skiing right on property include Cedar Ridge B&B in Portage, Lakeside B&B in Florence, and Artha Sustainable Living Center in Amherst.
Best Wisconsin B&Bs for Snowshoeing
- Crystal River Inn B&B in Waupaca has snowshoes sitting right on the front porch for guests – think grab and go. Try candlelight cross country skiing on their well groomed trails, knowing you can warm up after with refreshments whipped up by the innkeepers.
- At Pinehurst Inn in Bayfield, the snowshoes are complimentary and so is the cardio workout on their 20 acres of rolling hills and steep ravines along Pike’s Creek. The innkeepers will provide head lamps if you want to snowshoe by moonlight.
- Honorable mention to Honeybee Inn B&B in Horicon for providing free use of snowshoes for exploring the Horicon Marsh trails just 10 blocks from the inn.
Best Wisconsin B&Bs for Downhill Skiing
- Take the trio of ski hills near Wisconsin Dells – Devils’ Head, Cascade Mountain and Christmas Mountain – and you must nominate Pine Grove Park B&B and Parkview B&B, both in Reedsburg. Pine Grove Park has four freestanding guest houses tucked back on 55 aces, while Parkview is located right in town.
- There are 18 slopes at The Mountain Top at Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, and there are 10 suites at the Lazy Cloud B&B in Lake Geneva, each with a two-person whirlpool and fireplace.
Best Wisconsin B&Bs for Snowmobiling
- First up, Grapevine Log Cabins in Sparta, where you can pick up the Leon-Sparta Trail right on property.
- At Canyon Road Inn in Turtle Lake, not only do you have access to the Cattail Trail but the inn has plenty of trailer parking too.
- Favored to take home the award is Cobblestone B&B in Birchwood, with access to the Tuscobia State Trail from the inn, plus the owner provides all the accoutrements like indoor parking for cars and snowmobiles, a fire pit and hot chocolate.
Best Wisconsin B&Bs for Ice Fishing
- Three notable nominees in this category, with the first going to the Brayton B&B in Oshkosh, just one mile from Lake Winnebago, a body of water famous for sturgeon spearing but also white bass and walleye.
- The second nominee is Eagle Harbor Inn in Ephraim, located a quarter-mile from the bay of Green Bay. Side note here, if you prefer to glide on the ice the innkeepers recommend the skating rink in Sister Bay with fire pit and warming hut.
- Up third is Riverview B&B in Neshkoro, where the ice is thick on the White River and the fish are biting. Care to ice skate instead? Friends of the White River not only maintain a rink area but also have a collection of skates for free use.
About the Wisconsin Bed & Breakfast Association
The WBBA is the one of the largest associations of its kind in the United States and the only quality-certified B&B organization in Wisconsin. Its 140 member inns range from historic mansions to waterfront cottages to contemporary urban retreats. Full descriptions of the inns may be found at www.WisconsinBandB.com.